1. Contact your local Foster Care Foundation and see what their needs are. You can also volunteer to take pictures through the Heart Gallery of America for these children waiting for their forever families.
2. Volunteer to take maternity pictures/hospital for expectant mothers with an adoption plan. These pictures will be a priceless gift to them. You can contact a local adoption agency to offer your services or become a Red Thread Photographer here.
3. Volunteer to take family pictures for an adoptive family who has just adopted/finalized their adoptions or is hoping to adopt. Those hoping to adopt need great pictures for their profiles for expectant parents to look at. If you have graphic design talents, you can also help them create pass along cards, online or physical profile books, etc. You can contact a local adoption agency to offer your services or become a Red Thread Photographer here:
4. Many adoption communities have fundraisers/activities/conferences that you can volunteer to photograph their event or even just attend their event and help promote their events. You could contact United for Adoption. They are a non-profit that provides adoption advocacy, education and support nationwide.
5. The best thing you can do is help educate your family and friends about what you learn about adoption through these families that actually live it each day. By using social media with your photography, you can help educate and show the beauty that is in adoption.
Photography and Article by Terra Cooper Photography
Terra Cooper is a Staff Storyteller at Adoption.com. She is a mother of three– two boys and one girl who was adopted. She is also a professional wedding photographer, a self-proclaimed foodie, and a TV/movie addict. Visit her website.